Our School App Stay connected on the go...
Post 18 - Destinations (2020)
At Valley Park School, we have a strong message around raising aspirations and encourage all of our students to pursue excellence, and to aim high to reach their goals. Consequently, we have an acute understanding that their personal success will be found in a variety of leaver destinations depending on individual interests and career ideas.
The Careers Adviser will continue to support our leavers and help them to make apprenticeship, UCAS and employment applications and secure positive destinations beyond Year 13, if required. We encourage leavers to join our Alumni Network and to keep in touch with us so we can inspire our current students with their stories and all celebrate their career achievements and successes.
Our most recent destinations for Year 13 leavers in 2020 (correct as of January 2021), includes the following:
- 62% of Year 13 leavers went on to study at university, with 99% securing their first choice place of study
- 37% secured a place at a Top 50 university (Complete University Guide 2021 League Table) and of this 16% are studying at a Top 10 institution.
- 5 students are undertaking courses at Russell Group universities.
- 3% of the total university cohort deferred university entry until 2021, opting to take a gap year first
- 6 % undertook an apprenticeship or school leaver programme
- 16% went directly into employment - for most this is full time.
- Four leavers have decided to apply to university in the 2021 cycle after considering their options.
- 5% are completing L3 and above vocational courses at local FE colleges.
Popular chosen fields of study for university courses 2020 included:
- Arts including Fashion, music and graphic design
- Public services such education, social work, and healthcare related
- Business and Finance
- Psychology, criminology and law
- STEM including mechanical engineering, biomedical sciences and computer science
- Humanities including English, Journalism and sociology
- Sports related